Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pickles!!

I am so proud of myself!  This past weekend I made pickles for the first time ever!  The best part is the cucumbers came from my very own garden!  That's right!!  I grew them myself!  I only ended up harvesting enough to make 4 jars of pickles but it was super exciting.  We have to wait a few more days before we can try them but the boys are excited to be my guinea pigs.  For Christmas my wonderful hubby bought me Food in Jars so I could get more canning tips and try some new recipes.  This is a fabulous book and the author has a wonderful blog full of tips, tricks, recommendations on equipment, give a ways, and more. 



Since I started my hand at growing vegetables, I have wanted to grow pickling cucumbers so I could make pickles.  I finally did it this year.  To my surprise it was super simple.  I didn't have great luck growing them.  I expected to get a much larger yield than I did, but I'll cut myself some slack as it was my first attempt. 





Hopefully they will meet my expectations and taste fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment